HLA awards two scholarships each year. The first of these two scholarships is a student award. The applicant must be a current University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM) LIS student or Advanced Certificate Student. The other scholarship is a professional award. The applicant must be a current HLA member.
These awards are funded at various levels up to $1,000 each. The number of scholarships awarded each year will be dependent on the current financial status of HLA.
The HLA Scholarship committee will evaluate the applications and make the decisions on the awards.Interested HLA members and students may find the links for application forms below. The deadline for 2013 is March 15 (Friday). The fund will be awarded in April.
Karen Peacock Memorial PIALA Scholarship Award
PIALA Membership Award, Up to $1,000
This annual award provides up to $1,000, for a current Pacific Islands Association of Libraries, Archives, and Museums (PIALA) member to attend the Hawaii Library Association (HLA) Annual Conference.
The scholarship is named in honor of Dr. Karen M. Peacock, who passed away in 2010. She was professor emeritus and retired curator of the Pacific Collection, Hamilton Library, University of Hawaii at Manoa. Born in Richmond, Indiana, Karen spent her childhood years in Palau, Pohnpei, and Saipan in Micronesia where her father, Daniel J. Peacock, served as the director of library services. Karen was devoted to the Pacific, especially Micronesia. She gave a great deal of her time and energy to supporting the work of Pacific libraries, archives, and museums, and advising and mentoring many of the islanders with whom she came into contact. As one of the founding members of the Pacific Islands Association of Libraries and Archives, Karen participated in many annual conferences throughout the region.
PIALA was established in 1991 as a regional association committed to fostering awareness and encouraging cooperation and resource sharing among libraries, archives, museums and related institutions of the Pacific Islands. In 1998 a resolution was passed by PIALA and HLA establishing an international partnership between these two organizations. This international partnership was established in part to discuss common issues, share ideas and expertise, attend each other’s conferences and link homepages. This scholarship would facilitate the PIALA-HLA partnership while honoring a strong supporter of both organizations.
- Must be a current member of PIALA.
- Must attend the HLA Annual Conference during the year the scholarship is awarded and provide proof of registration and attendance to scholarship administrator.
- Must prepare a brief presentation during the HLA conference updating HLA members on PIALA activities. Format and delivery options are the choice of the recipient, but may be mentored or guided by the PIALA Board.
- Must share knowledge and resources with PIALA members based on subjects/topics learned at the HLA conference. Format and delivery options are the choice of the recipient, but may be mentored/guided by the Scholarship Committee
- Applications will be submitted to the PIALA Board.
- Only one recipient will be chosen per year.
- Deadline for application: September 30.
- Applications will be submitted via email to: email@example.com
- Scholarship recipient will be chosen by: PIALA Scholarship Committee or PIALA Board members.
- PIALA Board will contact HLA Board within 3 days of announcing the recipient.
- Check from HLA payable to the recipient will be mailed within 10 days of announcement of the recipient.
- There are only two restrictions on who may apply: current PIALA membership and not having previously received this award. Scholarship awarded only once to any single individual. PIALA Board members may apply.
- PIALA Board will:
- Form a Scholarship Committee
- Develop the application form
- Establish the selection criteria
- Advertise the scholarship
Scholarship Application will include:
- Completed Application Form.
- Proof of current PIALA membership.
- A statement no longer than 1 page describing:
- Why you would like to attend the HLA Annual Conference.
- How you will share the knowledge and resources learned at the conference with other PIALA members.